Ramakrishna Mission’s Mumbai branch has recently started ‘Value Based Education’ sessions for youngsters every Sunday from 10 am to 11 am. The basic aim of the sessions is overall spiritual development of an individual. It is conducted by Swami Shrimohanananda maharaj, who is also the librarian of the Ramakrishna Mission library.
Along with imparting knowledge, one is also taught meditation and chanting of Sanskri shlokas from ancient scriptures. The sessions take place in the air-conditioned Vivekananda Auditorium and they are FREE of cost.
Here’s more information on the sessions:
Today was the first time I attended the session. The topic of the discussion was ‘Vedanta in education.’
Here are the highlights of the same:
– Vedanta means the essence of the Vedas.
– In ancient times when people didn’t know the art of writing, knowledge was passed on verbally to the next generations.
– Vedanta says that man is a divine being. He is not just a lump of body. Soul is his nature. We all are one.
– When somebody asked Swami Vivekananda about the solutions to the many problems in India and the world, his only answer was ‘education.’
– Today, people are earning many degrees. But has morality and sense of purpose of a person become better? It has actually gone down.
– For example, a Commerce student is only taught to add and subtract. A lot of CAs (Chartered Accountants) are even hired by companies to manipulate (numbers).
– It is a wrong belief that one’s only aim should be to earn a lot of money, buy a big house and have a big bank balance.
– Most school and college teachers teach in the same way. If you teach in the same way for 15 years and not make it more interesting (upgrade your teaching), how has it helped your students? They can get this (type of teaching) even in books.
– One should be greedy of knowledge.
– One should be greedy of religion. If you know your religion well but don’t study other religions, how will you respect them (other religions)?
– Foundation should be strong. Only then the building will be strong. The base of education should be to see your spiritual ideals.
– Nobody can dictate as to what this ideal should be.
– Vedanta is the only philosophy that can accommodate everything (every knowledge or faith).