By: Keyur Seta
Ever since our childhood we have been told that we should respect, protect and conserve nature. Many of us have started believing in it more ever since terms like Global Warming and Climate Change have come into being.
But after attending a five-hour session titled ‘Philosophy of Ecology’ at New Acropolis (Mumbai), I have now literally started worshiping nature. It was pretty much the same with others who participated in the session.
The seminar dug into the deeper aspect of ‘Ecology’ and what we humans have reduced it to due to various reasons, including greed. But unlike most seminars or lectures, this one was more practical and interactive. Hence, the participants took back with them a lot of things rather than just attending and forgetting about it after it’s over.
Highlights of the session:-
Baraka Movie:- The video below shook us. It is a footage from the non-verbal movie Baraka. It shows the true, raw beauty of nature in various forms and later focuses on how we have destroyed it through our greed, materialism and consumerism. The mesmerizing visuals transforming into something so brutal is heartbreaking even for those who aren’t nature lovers. Then what to say of the people gathered there? A lady vowed to give up non-vegetarian food after witnessing the process through which chicken is produced.
Here is the video:-
Composting:- An entire process of Composting was practically presented. For those who don’t know, Composting is a process through which fertile manure is produced from sheer garbage. The fertile compost can be used to grow your own food. To learn Composting, visit an organization called ‘Dirt’ by clicking HERE.
Solution to Global Warming:- We should plant as many plants as possible on our terrace. There are innumerable buildings in a city like Mumbai. Just imagine the positive effect on the environment of high number of plants on lakhs of terraces in Mumbai. This will help fight Global Warming, although at a minor level.
Native Americans:- One of the themes of the seminar was that to solve the problems of today by looking back to the past. To explain this, information and insight on Native Americans was presented.
Here is its summary:-
- They worship nature diligently.
- From their teachings, it is evident that they learnt about destruction way back 300 years ago, before the industrial revolution.
- They believe that nature holds all the aces.
- Pregnant women were sent to forests where she would give birth to her baby all by herself. It is believed that a baby born through such a process will be strong.
- They give names to children after nature.
- They firmly believe in giving away what they have. In case if a person becomes possessive about something, he is said to be weak.
- As and when they need to hunt an animal for food, they plead in front of it to let them consume it. The remains of the animal are respectfully buried.
Chief Seattle’s Letter:- Chief Seattle, who was the Chief of Squamish Indians, wrote to the America in 1800 explaining why nature or land should never be bought and how they see God in everything. This letter will undoubtedly move anyone. Read it HERE.
Here is a gist of other important points presented:-
- Animals eat only as much as they require. Hence, they don’t have problems like obesity, heart diseases, diabetes, etc.
- Sun consistently arrives each morning, come what may. He is an ideal example of consistency.
- “Know yourself, only then you will know the Cosmos and Gods.” – Temple of Apollo in Delphi, Greece.
- Symptoms of any issue can be treated. But to heal, one needs to go to the root of the problem.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” – M K Gandhi.