By: Keyur Seta
‘Dreams’ is one topic that instantly arouses interest in almost all of us. People from different background, social status, ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender, age and what not will unitedly listen to a person sharing his or her dream. So, what exactly are dreams? Do they have any connection with our real lives? Is it normal to dream yourself naked at a public place?
Mumbaikars were enlightened to the answers to these questions and a lot more at an interactive lecture titled ‘Reality of Dreams’ at New Acropolis Mumbai by one of their teachers.
The following are the excerpts from the lecture:-
Basic information about dreams:
- We dream in color and not in black and white. However, the intensity of the colors varies from person to person. People from creative fields usually see more colorful dreams.
- In a study in the US, it was found that the dreams of children below 5th grade (roughly 10 years old) are more colorful than the rest.
- Blind people also dream. Their dreams are difficult to explain though. But those who are blind from birth, dream through other senses as they have never experienced vision ever.
- Animals dream too.
- You can sometimes get answers to your questions through dreams, although indirectly. This often happens with people who are into the profession of coding. There are also cases of inventions taking place through the help of dreams.
- It is also believed that if you are seeking answers for the growth of humanity, you are likely to find them through dreams. For example, when Swami Vivekananda wasn’t sure of going to Chicago to attend the Parliament of Religions to represent India, he saw a symbolic dream about his master Sri Ramakrishna suggesting him to go ahead.
- Many cultures have the same name for ‘dream’ and ‘vision’.
Most Common Dreams: (1) Falling down (2) Teeth falling out (3) Being chased (4) Turning up naked in public places (5) Unprepared for an exam (6) Pregnancy or something related to babies (7) Being late for something (8) Dying or death (9) Meeting a celebrity (10) Being out of control (11) Flying and (12) Having sex
Some of these dreams might appear abnormal but that is not true. It is absolutely normal to see any of the aforementioned dreams.
Interpretation of dreams: You will find thousands of pages on the internet about the meaning or interpretation of different types of dreams. However, that is not the right approach. It is not right for one person to determine the meaning of other person’s dream since different dreams can have different meanings for different people.
Stages of Sleep: The stage of sleep plays a major role in triggering dreams. Dreams mostly occur during the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) stage of sleep and rarely during non-REM stage. The REM stage occurs generally during the starting and ending stage of sleep.
Trivia on Sleep:
- The most common question about sleep is how much sleep do we need. It is believed that, on an average, a person requires 6.5 to 7.5 hours of sleep. Sleeping much lesser or higher than this stipulated time affects your mental ability.
- Sleep also has more to do with the quality than quantity.
- Monks or spiritually enlightened people can do with as less as 2.5 hours of sleep.
- In a study, when people were made to stay awake for 17 days, they experienced hallucinations, were unable to focus and struggled to solve questions requiring logical sense.